You can protect yourself from becoming a victim of cycle theft by following some simple steps.
- Get a good bike lock, remember the lock represents the value of the bike
- Lock your bike to something secure, e.g. a bike rack or a lamppost. Always lock your bike, even if you are only leaving it for a couple of minutes
- Lock up removable parts (e.g. wheels) and take light fittings with you
- Have your bike’s frame security-marked or engraved. Contact your local Safer Neighbourhood Team for further information on 101 or www.northyorkshire.police.uk
- Visit www.immobilise.com to register your bike.
- Take a clear colour photograph of your bike and make a written record of its description, including any unique features.
- Keep your bike in a secure garage or shed and keep the door locked
- Keep the bike out of public view
- Avoid isolated places don’t leave your bike where a potential thief can easily steal it